day centres and hostels
Debt and money problems
Debt is a fact of life and thousands of people each year get into debt. One in four people now use loans and credit cards to meet the basic costs of living. This situation could mean that you get behind with your regular bills such as rent, council tax, phone, electricity or gas.
If you fall behind with paying your rent or mortgage, you could be at risk of losing your home. You should get expert advice about your situation as soon as possible.
- If you are a private tenant having problems paying your rent contact Walsall Council's Homeless and Housing Advice Service as soon as possible for advice.
- If you need help with affording a deposit to rent privately you may be able to get help from the Walsall Rent Guarantee Scheme.
- If you have a mortgage and are in danger of losing your home because you are unable to make mortgage payments you may be eligible for help from the local Mortgage Rescue Scheme.
- Walsall Council's Welfare Rights Service helps people claim for their full entitlement of welfare benefits.
- Walsall Citizens Advice Bureau can give information and advice on a wide range of issues including debt.
- National Debtline is a national helpline and website for anyone with debt problems.
These websites have further information on how to deal with debt:
- Shelter website - information on everything to do with paying for a home, including deposits, benefits, crisis loans, rent arrears and dealing with debt.
- Adviceguide website - information on debt and budgeting.
- Legal Aid - the Government's website provides guidance on how Legal Aid could assist you with debt problems.